Re: [stella] DASM wish list

Subject: Re: [stella] DASM wish list
From: "B. Watson" <atari@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2005 17:49:50 -0400
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Glenn Saunders wrote:

> The big thing I'd like to see DASM do is be tolerant
> of whitespace and indentation.

Welll...

> I mean, in 2005 should it really matter whether you
> put an opcode or a label on the hard left margin or
> one tab over??

No, and it really shouldn't have mattered in 1985, either.

However... I think what you really are asking for is brand-new code, not
more patches to DASM. At this point, it's patches layered upon patches,
some written in different dialects of C...

The correct thing to do would be to spec out our "dream assembler" and
start a sourceforge project or such. I guess rule #1 of the new specs
is going to be "must be able to assemble all existing DASM 6502 code",
which is going to complicate the design... but then we won't have to
support the other CPUs that DASM supports, if we don't want to...

Of course, rule #2 is going to define what language the code will be
written in, and I can't even make up my mind what I think the right
answer is, so I dunno how we can get the whole community to agree...

--
B.